Tuesday 21 April 2020

Ready to Rise by Jo Saxton. A review

This is a book I have just read, courtesy of Netgalley for free, on the understanding I posted a review. I have posted a review on their site, and copied it here it is as well - well I did enjoy the book, and grateful for it. I gave it 5 star rating because it was the book for me where I’m at!

Ready to Rise by Jo Saxton was a joy to read, light enough to absorb easily, yet profound enough to get under your skin and make you reflect, especially after you had laid the book down to return the everyday tasks.  This is a book that speaks into this new world that exists around us, even though it wasn’t planned for this wilderness, and particularly the opening chapters have a prophetic tone about it.  Early chapters feel like a well written sermon, warm and engaging whilst the concluding chapters challenge further participation and development. I was struck by the idea of uncovering who we are as women, as opposed to discovering or indeed recovering, for who and what we are as women has always been.  To be honest, at times I felt she was writing my story, other times I was slightly jealous I hadn’t written the book myself, but I found myself grateful for her careful consideration and gracious attitude. This is not a text that is out to bring men down or indeed blame them, but a recognition that subconsciously to a point, and consciously, culture has consistently portrayed women within a limited framework.  

So although, unapologetically about encouraging and empowering women in leadership (which is a broad term), there is a nod to the menfolk, some I think who might value the basic principles underlying the text. I loved the use of Timothy as well as powerful women from Scripture, some rather obscure ones as well as known ladies. She balances Scripture, the call of God on our lives and practical application, along with some worthy quotes from authors in a variety of fields.  So, therefore, although it is not an academic text as such, it also stops short of being a personal soapbox.  The reflection questions at the end of each chapter get deeper the further into the book you go, taking you on a journey of discernment, with some being more relevant or indeed necessary as you go.  I intend to go back and re-read this book, following the questions as I go this time. I’m always to impatient on the first read through to find out what happens, and I found I really didn’t want to put this book down.

I would totally recommend this for any woman needing a boost or a gentle reminder that they are so much that culture has shaped, that they don’t have to be all and do all to be worthy of praise or merit. If you are a woman considering changing paths in your career or community, again it is a helpful read.  And I think a fantastic book to read as a group of women, building up community and support as we go, particularly as the hardest element is moving from the belief that ‘I can be’ to ‘We can be’.

No comments:

Post a Comment