Tuesday 7 July 2015

There is a time for everything...

And everything in its time.

I love the passage from Ecclesiastes about there being a time for all things, though I wince at the thought of a time to hate. I guess, however, there are injustices that we should hate enough to be motivated to make a difference about.
I suspect if I was allowed I would add a few lines...
There is a time to run and a time not to run.
There is a time to diet and a time to eat cake.
There is a time to go the gym and a time to go to the pub.
There is a time for coffee alone and a time for coffee with friends.
And there isn't a time when God isn't there...

Last night I was woken from sleep around 1am, my nerves jangling and wondering where the alarm was.  It sounded like a beeping alarm clock, followed by creaky floor boards and the rocker in Jess' room.  Eventually I persuaded myself to do a circuit of the house (minus Fitbit!) and of course both children were out for the count and all was well, and I don't know where the alarm came from. Suspect it was a phone telling us it was out of charge (why always at night?)  I went back to bed and prayed for a blessing upon the house and her inhabitants and went back to sleep with God on my mind and heart, convinced of his presence.

The middle of the night is a spooky time sometimes (and I'm not talking ghosts). But the darkness, strange environment, noisy insects and over active imagination can stimulate negative responses. Taking time to pray can help to lift the darkness, and the light of God to shine. And I know it works in the daytime as well - as I pray for his wisdom, courage, peace and guidance.
There is always a time to pray even when we don't know the words...

Can I encourage you to pray in the wee small hours as well as in the bright light of day?

For some the Church is living in the dark, spooky hours of the night, but I know God is still with her. And I pray for a blessing upon her, and all who call upon the name of the Lord.  I believe that the Lord is still present but we need help with our negative responses. Perhaps we need to rest and let God be God, and awake refreshed and hope-full.  What are your prayers for God's church? (And by Church I mean the people not the buildings, and to a certain extent the institution).

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. Eph 6:18
In my prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment