Friday 27 March 2020

Learning to be Content.

Honestly, I’m not sure I know where to begin.  I think I want to tell you that right now I am content.  I am not happy - these are strange days indeed.  There is much that I miss.

Running next to Danni has become social distancing runs and facetime calls at the end to chat.  Hanging up is brutal. But I appreciate that I can run, I can afford to do that kind of phone call and I live somewhere that is not ‘busy’ with people or indeed runners. Yes there is much I miss (even a week in) - dropping into a cafe for a coffee and a blether, just shooting the breeze on the street corner, getting a hug at the church door after service...we can all add much to this list.  My Dad turns 70 and we should have had a family party on Saturday, my niece turns 16 at the beginning of April, and my sister 40 in May.  All personal celebrations affected by these strange days.  But for all I am disappointed I am still content.

I am content because I know that this is temporary.  I am distressed by what might be, especially for those who are fighting for their lives, and the real pain that people are going to feel at not attending funerals of loved ones.  I am concerned for my children’s education because I am not a good home schooler but both children have achieved some learning this week so I’ll take that as a win. 

I am content because I know who holds the future.  Even through the distress and the disappointment, through the frustrations and noise of the family home, I am content.  God knows the future and that knowledge is too great, too wonderful for me to know or grasp. So instead I trust him with it.  To be content, doesn’t mean to be comfortable, or even without pain and suffering. Paul writes:

Philippians 4:11-13 New International Version (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I am only discontented when I think I have to do it all.  When I think the future of the church rests upon my shoulders.  Am I doing enough? Am I supportive enough?  How can I balance the sometimes competing elements of caring for my children and their struggles with the congregation and community I serve?  That voice exists in all of us - we just have our own version of it.  That voice that stirs up angst and anxiety, fear and failure in us.  How we silence that voice is through prayer, through counting our blessings, through phoning that friend who will centre us again.  For some that voice is very powerful and I know that it is hard being in that very dark place and for you, I pray for peace and God’s light to shine in.

I know I am not going to get this right and I will fail some and wow others.  But that’s the way it has always been.  I still feel pressure to achieve and do, but I know that I want to give and be - and let God take care of the rest. Many of us feel helpless right now - doing nothing is not in the helpful person’s psyche. However, for many of us, doing nothing is actually doing everything.  You might not be happy with that, but you can be content.

Also, modern technology is epic so get the What’s App or the Facebook Messenger or Zoom or Skype and video call! Trust me - it is a real tonic!  And take time to phone around friends in the congregation please...keep in touch.

I pray that you are content, and that despite the difficulties, you will find silver linings. Or as the old song goes - (sing it if you wish)
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
and it will surprise you what the Lord has done!

God bless you and God loves you!
Love Sarah

PS. Our Church Facebook page is public so you can access it without joining FB I believe. Do stop by for regular reflections and updates.



2 comments:

  1. I too am content, but there is restlessness too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am content, but there is a restlessness also.

    ReplyDelete