Friday 30 August 2019

Good Day?

I came across this poem in the book Hearing the Stranger by retired Bishop Michael Hare Duke (1994) and I wanted to share it.  It makes me think especially as it has been a hard week in some ways, taking me at times through hard conversations...it encouraged me and I hope it does you.

Was it a good day?
That depends on the shape of the ideal.
What I’d set my heart on,
slipped out of my grasp.
The meeting I planned was cancelled;
I wanted to impress someone
and he looked the other way.
“No access” blocked
the road I hoped to travel.
The weather was just the sort
that makes my head ache.
Definitely no the blueprint                  
for a red-letter day.

But if I turn the calendar,
with a frustrated flip
or scrumple the date
and throw it in the bin,
rubbishing the day,
I’ve missed the point.

It did not fill my fantasy.
It gave instead space to discover
new dimensions;
a chance to change direction
and not get hung up with resentment.
Not a perfect day - but good enough to grow in.

I hope you have a good day but even if you don’t there are silver linings somewhere.  Look for them!
God bless,
Love Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment