Saturday 14 April 2018

No Jesus - No Point

Holidays are always a time where I catch up some much needed rest and generally stop chasing my tail for a week or two.  After some very enjoyable sun in Tenerife, it has been back to work, planning an outdoor Messy Church event as part of a Praise in the Park event, and an evening service around the Practice of Holy Listening.  However, in the midst of this, there has been those good intentions that once again rise up from a place of rest.  Time before the holidays became about ticking the next task off the list, meeting the varied demands and balancing family life, whilst engaging at different levels with Holy Week.  After the holidays, I live well again (for a time).

At our Sanctus service I will be focussing on John 21 - a post resurrection narrative that is one of my favourites and yet makes me uncomfortable (in a good way). I won’t be telling people what to take from it, that will be between them and God. But for me, as I journey through this time in my ministry, wondering where God is taking me, John 21 is a timely reminder that without Jesus there is no point. I can go through the motions, I can plan the programmes, I can beseech ‘my people’ to get onboard, I can be the life and soul of ministry (interpret that how you will) but without Jesus there is no point.

Like the disciples in the boat that night, ministry can feel like a pointless struggle.  The nets are in the water, the conditions are just so (after all in my parish 30% are undeclared or no faith) yet what worked before to fill the nets is not working.  We go through the motions but become more and more dispirited as nothing seems to be happening.  The disciples in the boat are confused, battered by recent events and missing the regular company of Jesus.

It is only when Jesus is included that fish are caught and suddenly there is plenty.  Enough to eat and sell, and in that moment, Peter leaps to his Master’s side.

However, after breakfast, Peter and Jesus have that conversation upon which many a sermon has been written, and I’m sure this reflection is nothing new.  But sometimes there is merit in saying it again - no Jesus, no point.  It is in loving Jesus that we find purpose and direction.  It is only in Peter’s declaration of love that he receives his call.  Loving Jesus has to come first, for only then will our call, my understanding of ministry, make any sense.  Without Jesus, without loving him, there is no point.

Just remember, Jesus showed his love first (in this story) by giving the catch of fish that led to breakfast and fellowship.  He didn’t need to do that, he could have just called them in or waited for them to land dejected and disappointed.  He didn’t - he gave them more than they needed, such is the generous love of our God.

Perhaps, it is when we are ready to throw in the towel that we are most open to the power, love and generosity of our God.  Rather than go through the motions, doing what we have always done, perhaps we need to listen for the call of Jesus and do what he tells us, knowing that love is the key.

Read John 21:1-19 for yourself.
God loves you! What is your response? What is my response?
God bless,
Love Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment